Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Making peanut butter

I was applying peanut butter to a slice of bread when a questions popped in my head: can I make my own peanut butter?  I found this recipe below, and as soon as we run out of the pb that's open, I'm giong to try this.  Here's how to make your own peanut butter (found here).


(another person said that you can skip the salt, sweets, and oil if you like.  Just blend the peanuts together and walla!).

What you need:

15 ounces of shelled and skinned roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of honey
1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut oil
What you do:

- Put the peanuts, salt, and honey into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process for a minute or until the mixture begins to smoothen.
- Drizzle the oil in while it continues to process.
- Process this mixture until creamy (2-3 minutes) or whatever texture you like.
- Store in an airtight container; it'll be good for up to two months!

3 comments:

Amber D said...

I just ran out of PB I'm going to have to try this!

Brandi M said...

Good! Tell me what you think :)

Katrina said...

Only problem is, you have to have these ingredients on hand to make the PB... But that leads me to point out that very few ingredients are needed in PB. In fact, the kind my family eats only has one ingredient: peanuts. And when my kids try the "other" kind they think it's frosting. :)