Monday, May 31, 2010

Gardening with newspaper

My mother-in-law told me that you can use newspaper in your gardens as a weed-block.  I thought this was interesting so I researched it online to learn more about it.

Indeed, newspaper is a great natural source (and a great way to recycle) to prevent weeds from growing in your garden.  In fact, people say that the newspaper will work for several years if undisturbed.

This is what you do:

- soak several pieces of newspaper in water, wring out, and unfold.  Lay flat on ground.
- cut hole big enough for your potted flowers/trees/plants to fit in the hole.
- plant your flowers/trees
- lay mulch or dirt on the top of the newspaper

This type of weed barrier is much better for your plants than plastic, and will work better than anything you can buy at the store.

I am going to use this idea this year when planting :)

No comments: