Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Homemade cheese, yogurt, and butter

Since I've been thinking about going back to the basics, I was intrigued to find out if it was possible to make my own yogurt.  In my search I found this awesome website that not only explains yogurt, but also gives step by step instructions on making various cheeses and butter.

At some point this summer, I am going to try some of the recipes, and I'll give my personal feedback.  If you have your own feedback and experience, please share it with me and my readers!  We would appreciate it!

Here is the main website.  Here is a page from that website for beginners.  They have helpful tips on what to start with, how to proceed, and what to expect as a new cheese-maker.  What's also neat is they have a page outlining how to make your own cheese press from materials laying around the house (otherwise they cost anywhere from $60-$250)!  I will aslo try making this sometime this summer.

Another website, here, has a slew of options as far as purchasing ingredients for cheesemaking.  Again, I haven't done this yet, but it looks like this website has a lot of options.

Let me know if you have any experience or advice for me as I reach out into the unknown of cheese and yogurt making :)

No comments: