Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Dive: Dairy Free/Soy Free

I've been having some bloating issues and I haven't figured out what is causing the symptoms yet, but I have decided to take myself off of dairy for a month and see how my body reacts to my diet changes (I'm doing research and getting ready for the big leap).  If this doesn't work, I may try going off of grains (gluten free food) and see if that helps my body.  It's scary cutting out comfort foods and "going without" so many things that other people can eat.  But sometimes we have to make changes for our benefit.  I know that making this change isn't impossible, and I have several friends who have removed foods from their diets and have still made wonderful meals.  So here I dive into the world of possibilities... an adventure in learning about how other people eat, gaining new recipes, and having a hope for a better tomorrow. 

Below is a list of links for dairy free recipes and ideas, as well as dairy free + soy free (for those of us who don't like to consume GM foods due to the uncertainty of future health issues, and also due to some of the content combined in the DNA of the plant).  I hope you find these useful, and if you have any other sites/recipes/tips, please feel free to leave them here!

DAIRY FREE LINKS:

http://www.godairyfree.org/

I found a great page that shows different substitution options for those of us who are new at this game.
http://www.livingwithout.com/resources/substitutions.html

This is a great website FILLED with ideas, substitutions, brand names that are dairy-free, and has some great links and resources on the site.
http://www.beanmom.com/nomilk.html

Specialize your menu by using an etensive list of foods you can eliminate from your diet:
http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/advancedSearch


DAIRY FREE + SOY FREE:

Soy Free substitues for dairy and cheese:
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/techniquessubstitutions/tp/soysubstitutes.htm

Practical, everyday recipes that can be quick and easy:
http://www.fastq.com/~jbpratt/recipes/allergiesintol/maindishes.html

This lasagna looks delicious!
http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/soy-free-dairy-free-but-still-decadent-cheesy-spinach-lasagna-366.html

Allergy Free Recipes:
http://www.eatingwithfoodallergies.com/allergyfreerecipes.html

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I heartily recommend avoiding soy no matter what--first of all most soy in this country is genetically modified, so that's scary off the top. Secondly, soy contains estrogens. Now lots of plants contain phyto-hormones, so that's not worrysome per se, but some people (especially vegetarians or vegans) tend to consume a LOT of soy (and it is an additive in MANY condiments and such) and it all adds up to be enough that it causes problems. It can throw off your own hormonal balance, and it has also been linked to fetal deformities in male babies (when mom had too much soy during pregnancy). So I avoid it carefully during pregnancy, but try to keep it out of my house in general anyway.

As for milk, I have read sources that suggest that as many as 80% of adults are lactose intolerant to some degree or other. So that's a very likely culprit. Definitely give that one a go. I don't drink milk, and haven't for about 5 years now. I do use other dairy, but I don't drink the milk itself.

Gluten free is a whole other ball of wax. You may have seen my blog post a few months ago--LOTS of links in the comments there. Im giving it a two week trial to see if I feel any differences, and if I dont' then I'm not going to bother with it, but if I do then it will probably be a permanent change for me.

Brandi M said...

Jenni- Thank-you for your informative reply. Yes, I know that soy in large quantities are not good for your body (as with anything). I believe that about 85-90% of soy produced in america is genetically modified- scary isn't it?!

I am also aware that most people have some intolerance to dairy, which is why I decided to try going df (I haven't started yet but I'm getting ready to).

I did see your post about GF... in fact my bff is GF and I have a few other friends who are as well. I meant to post a comment but I guess I forgot to do so on your blog. I may try going GF but I have issues emotionally due to my childhood, and giving up ALL that food would be devistating (emotionally) to me (long story).

Having said that, I KNOW that it is feasible and still tastes good (most of it)... so yes, there are foods that just can't be replicated and you'll miss out on, but there are plenty of substitues out there. I also know that it is incredibly more expensive, so homecooking is a must (which we both already do). Let me know how the GF goes for you! I'll go to your post for resources if I need them :)