Friday, July 9, 2010

Picking Blueberries

It is almost time to pick blueberries.  I am excited because this will be my first year harvesting them.  My husband grew up picking wild blueberries up north, so we are going to continue the tradition.  I am excited because first of all, I didn't have to plant or water them, and second, because we are going to have FRESH blueberries to eat!

I learned from Diane, my mother-in-law, that you can freeze the blueberries on a pan one layer deep.  After they are frozen, pull them out and put them in ziplock bags for fresh berries for the next several months!

Depending on how many we get, we can make blueberry pie, jelly, jam, syrup, pie filling (for later use), blueberry butter, or I can bottle them and put them on the shelf.  I didn't grow up on a blueberry harvest, so I've never tasted any of the following.  I'll let you know how it goes, what we make, and what I like :)

Here is a website that has great information about blueberries, if anyone is interested.

No comments: